Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Very Old Place











I think it’s time for a road trip. The monotony here is starting to bug me. Although there is a great deal to do, and new crisis erupt and evolve daily, it all starts to feel the same. Then again I might be feeling some influence from my assistant. He just returned from a site visit up North to Hairaton. He is of the opinion all US forces should take a similar road trip. I can’t disagree. It helps to see a part of the country free of war and lacking the heavy damage inflicted by years of civil war in the South. It gives a fresh perspective and reason for hope. Hope is crucial. In some cases it’s everything. If our forces loose hope they can’t instill it in the population. After all, you have to have hope to project it. Hope is the reason I voted for Obama. I wasn’t overly impressed with his politics but he was the only candidate who refused to abandon hope. Right now it’s the most important commodity in the world. It’s all too easy to look over the state of the planet and despair. There is climate change, the global economic contraction, hot wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Gaza, Kashmir, Darfur, Nigeria, Somalia, just to name a few, corporate and personal greed are at an all time high, I could continue but it would be counterproductive. It’s easy to look at all this and forget that back in the 1950’s Londoners were dying from killer smog and protestors were being killed in the US for trying to gain basic freedoms, the cold war was in full swing, hot wars raged in Vietnam and Korea. Hell, I grew up believing a nuclear war would happen in my life time. As a species, humans are a mixed bag to be sure, but amazingly resilient. It may be odd but the older I get the more hopeful I become. Reading history helps. As bad as things appear it’s never anything new.

I am hopeful for Afghanistan. This land has a rich cultural heritage dating back centuries. This is the probable birthplace of Zoroastrianism, the oldest known monotheistic religion. This is the location of Balkh, known in ancient times as “the mother of all cities”. I recently read that there is likely a 3rd Buddha statue at Bamyan. This one is believed to be a reclining Buddha over 300 meters long. On a recent trip to Hairaton we visited a site near Samangan. There is a Zoroastrian temple on one hill and a Buddhist cave complex on the next hill. I haven’t been able to find specific information on these sites. It’s unfortunate but archeological efforts in Afghanistan ground to a halt in the mid 70’s. I am hopeful that as some measure of stability spreads the people here will start reacquainting themselves with their illustrious history. It’s the one element common across the many ethnic and religious groups that comprise Afghanistan. It’s the one thing that may once again unite this diverse and beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment