Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Little Dose Will Do Ya

Getting prescriptions in the military is pretty simple. I has allergy problems and neither Claritan nor Zyrtec did anything. A quick trip to the clinic and I’ve got a big bottle of Allegra. The best part is, it helps. It’s a good idea to do some of your own research though. Many of the doctors in the military join to avoid traditional residency. As a result many are not yet board certified. Now I don’t know how much this impacts on drug policy but it doesn’t hurt to hedge your bets.

Here in Afghanistan malaria meds are mandatory. I was given Doxycycline as my malaria prophylaxis. I wasn’t too fond of it. Eat one on a nearly empty stomach and feel seasick, not fun. So anyway I was picking up allergy tablets and decided to ask about different malaria meds. They handed me Mefloquine so I promptly went online to look into it. I found a great site for travel medicine (www.traveldoctor.co.uk). I discovered that Doxycycline is only approved for use up to 6 months. Guess what, guys here for a year have been given… yup, you got it Doxycycline!

It reminded me of the stink over Anthrax shots. It was in and out of the courts for years. Eventually a judge rules that enough shots had been given to military members (many illegally and or under protest) that it had been effectively tested for general use!

Just call me guinea pig! I can’t even recall all the vaccinations I’ve been given. I know there’s been Yellow Fever, Typhoid Fever, Cholera, Anthrax, Smallpox (yes that disease confined to US and Russian labs since the early 70’s) and who all knows what else. I’m pretty much set to hang out in any hellhole Uncle thinks the press won’t visit. When you sign on the line it really should be in blood. You really do agree to die if asked. Kinda weird. Very weird that I find myself writing this. Whod a thunk it!

No comments:

Post a Comment