Friday, June 12, 2009

Pink Belts and Boonie Hats

The 82nd Airborne are in town and times they are a changing! Life in the military is partly comprised of regulations based on personal whim, ego and misplaced priorities. We received notification recently of several changes to the rules at Bagram for military personnel living on post. Here are a few of my favorites:

  • Boonie hats are not authorized. Now the Navy issued me two of these floppy sun hats at Fort Jackson. Apparently protection from the sun is not on the agenda for the 82nd. Too bad your tax dollars bought these items I am not allowed to use.
  • Sunglasses are not to be worn during physical exercise. Gee, I guess to you like jogging windy days are now off limits. It’s been dryer lately as summer approaches, windier too. The dirt in Afghanistan is like talcum powder. This is not an exaggerated analogy either. It really is that fine. When the dust is blowing it can get pretty unpleasant if you aren’t wearing eye protection. But apparently the 82nd places looks above safety. Go Army!
  • Reflective belts shall only be yellow, orange or blue. Got that. No pink reflective belts! None whatsoever. Now just so you know, every one of these colors are issued. Apparently the pink belts are offensive to some senior officer. This is my favorite little piece of stupidity. I personally don’t wear my reflective belt at all. We are supposed to wear them in periods of reduced visibility. I believe it is because they are trying to cut down on vehicle accidents. Now I’m just an ignorant navy type but it occurs to me that if I were a bad guy looking to do ugly things to soldiers, I’d use cover of darkness to shoot at a few bright reflective belts! From an esthetic standpoint a reflective belt over a camouflage uniform is an oxymoron at best.

    I can’t help but be amazed at just how much this place is a soup sandwich.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Especially the reflective belts. I got a pink reflective belt last time I was in Iraq with the specific purpose of illustrating the absurdity of wearing it in a combat zone, and to piss off staff officers. Although it worked well with the ladies, no one told me I couldn't wear it. I still have it and am wearing it in Iraq again as I write this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This boonie hat is of very good quality and the fact that it's not 100% cotton works really well on its favor.The brim is wide enough to protect your neck and eyes from direct sunlight.overall I would recommend.
    booniehat

    ReplyDelete