Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cinco De Mayo in Islamabad


 
Cinco de Mayo in Islamabad Pakistan.  Seems odd to have a get together on this occasion.  Then again seems odd that America has so fully accepted a fake holiday.  OK, that’s a bit harsh.  It’s a real thing but a minor one to be sure.  Here we are bad mouthing Mexicans for wanting to come north for work but we gladly usurp a minor holiday celebrating a victory over the French in 1862?  OK, OK, I should not be surprised as Saint Patrick’s Day has changed from a Catholic Saint’s Feast day to an excuse to obliterate our livers through copious consumption of alcohol.  Whoa, OK how did I get here?  Oh yeah, the 5th of May.  Today.  It was a good day in Islamabad, for me anyway.  Another hike up the Margalla Hills.  Faster this time with a smaller group of more dedicated hikers.  After that I came back and glazed the Chocolate Damnation cake I made for today’s baking contest.  We had a chili cook off and baking contest at the General’s house.  Many people, lots of entries, lots of beer, a good time.


I missed out on “best dessert” to a guy that works for me.  He’s about to depart and has always baked for events.  To be fair very few people tried my cake as the first few destroyed it as quickly as possible!  It was the first dessert to vanish.  When the winner was announced the three star general turned to me and said “I think you just got fucked”  Too funny!  Afterwards a number of us filled water balloons and then took a position on the general’s 2nd floor while others did the same at the house across the street.  Then we used huge sling shots to stage a water balloon artillery duel.  So today was a good day.  Actually I suppose I should say I had a good weekend… all one day of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment