Monday, December 25, 2017

Trip to East Africa

Well, I have been out of work for three weeks now.  It’s strange.  Mostly it’s strange because I don’t feel the least anxiety about it.  But hey, grand adventure awaits.  As I write this one of my good friends is in Jordan, after visiting Morocco and Egypt.  Another close friend is in Australia.  I am feeling a bit behind the power curve.  But that all changes, soon enough.  I bought airfare to Entebbe today.  I am heading to Uganda to climb Margherita Peak on Mount Stanley.  I originally planned to visit Africa because I’d be out of work in the winter and in bad need of a vacation.  It seemed to me a logical choice as I haven’t been to Africa yet.  I wasn’t sure what I wanted to see there…. But I have always thought I’d end up climbing Kilimanjaro.  So I looked into climbs on Kili.  I decided I wanted to do the Northern Route as it is about the least traveled path to the summit.  No one seemed to be running it in Dec or Jan.  Then I stumbled on one outfitter that already has 2 folks doing that trip.  So I asked to join them.  That got me to looking at other mountains.  Mt Kenya looks like fun.  Meru looks fun…. But then I learned about the Rwenzori mountains in Uganda.  They look amazing.  And one of the peaks is quite technical, over 5,100 meters elevation and I can claim to have climbed in both Uganda and the DRC as it straddles the border.  What is not to love?! 


Now I have a week or so to sort out the rest of the trip, pack, prep and jump into the abyss.  In between these climbs I’ll have a dozen days that I still need to plan.  I am thinking I should see Zanzibar and probably Kenya.  Life is best lived as an adventure!  I shall post as I am able.  Merry Christmas!!             

No comments:

Post a Comment