Saturday, March 19, 2011

Crawling Toward Japan

I’m sitting on the floor of terminal 102 at LAX. There is nowhere else to sit. It’s about 50 minutes to go before boarding time. It’s been a very interesting week. Monday I arrived back in LA after drilling with my unit on Oahu for four days. I was there when the earthquake hit Japan and when the remnants of the tsunami relocated a house on Hawaii to a spot across the bay… actually, in the bay, would be more accurate. When I first heard a big quake struck Japan I wasn’t too worried. I guessed it was probably on Hokkaido and damage would be sparse. When I checked the TV and saw what was actually happening I was astounded. The flood of water was unbelievable. The tsunami was simply erasing large swaths of land taking boats, cars, buildings and everything else with it. The realization that is hit within 35 minutes of the quake was sobering. To me it meant many people would have been unable to escape in time.
But that was all last weekend. Then Tuesday morning I was asked to query my sailors and see who would be available to mobilize for 30 days at Pearl Harbor to help with Pacific Command’s tracking of the disaster as well as any assistance the US might provide. I collected the info and sent a few updates with a promise of a final update after I got home around 8:00 PM. I had listed my name as a volunteer for this on the first update. By that night things had changed a bit I was called and asked if I’d be willing to go to Yokota. I said absolutely I’d be willing. Hell I lived in Japan for nearly 7 years. How could I respond any other way? Then I was asked if I could depart the following day! After talking it over we settled on a Thursday or Friday departure. I needed to pick up some additional uniforms as mine and spread between LA and Oahu. When I got off the phone I called in sick for Wednesday knowing I would be far too busy getting ready for the trip. The following morning I was up and heading off to Pt Hueneme to pick up the new uniforms, I’d been told I’d need. I had effectively avoided getting the new digital blue camo but it looked like I’d have to suck it up now. After spending $500 and getting almost all the way home I realized I had forgotten collar insignia. Damn, that meant another trip to base. More time wasted. I was also checking on the status of my orders. I had finished inputting them half past midnight the night before. By the time evening rolled around my orders were still in routing and we had company over for dinner. I had been planning to sew on all my insignia but that would have to wait for morning.
That brings us to today. I finally had approved orders around 9:30. I also discovered the correct uniform is Khaki. That is one I have. So I waited anxiously to find out when my flight might depart. I called the travel office only to be told they were working on it and would make sure I had adequate notice, 2 hours. I asked for clarification and was told they would make sure I had at least two hours between the tickets being issues and my flight. OK, so that won’t work. I pointed out that international flights requite a 2 hour show time and I leave up to an hour from the airport. Well by 1 PM I finally received tickets. I had a 10:50PM departure… good news. So it was back to base to return the uniforms, deposit some checks into my account and tie up a few remaining loose ends. And now here, wondering what lay ahead.
I write this update from Inchon Airport. I had a 5 hour layover here on my way to Narita. I am in my last hour of that. When I arrive at Narita I am to find the military desk in terminal 1 and get specifics for the bus ride to Yokota. I may well be spending another 5 hours there waiting on that. Then it will be about a three hour ride to base and I report aboard. Finally at that point I may have the opportunity to find out some specifics of this job, this mission.
Until the I patiently wait around airports missing my family and wondering what loose ends I still need to tie up. Thank god for the internet. At least I can pay bills from abroad. Life continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment