Thursday, March 31, 2011

Expat Memories


Yesterday I finally found something I was afraid I’d lost. I rediscovered Japan in a sense. I had about two hours between work and bedtime (10:00 AM). I decided to walk to the river. So I left the base and followed the road past the main train station. It’s interesting seeing how Japanese towns are put together. Lots of small two story houses packed closely together, narrow roads without sidewalks, frequent breaks in the clutter for small community gardens. When I arrived at the river I found there was a small park above the bank with walking trails running both directions. There were only a few old men in the park, some stretching, others chatting with one another. I took the opportunity to practice Tai Chi Chuan. That always relaxes me and generally puts me in a good mood. Tai Chi next to a river is even better.
After exercising I walked along one of the trails for perhaps a mile or two before deciding to head back toward base. On the way I began to rediscover memories. I love the way community gardens are interspersed among the ad-hoc urban sprawl. I wandered into a Buddhist shrine and took some photos. Stores I had forgotten like Sega World, Mos Burgers (home of the awesome yakiniku rice burger) and The Italian Tomato. As I walked and explored I had the feeling of coming home. I was not seeing things as a Giajin, I was seeing the familiar. As much as I stand out among the Japanese I still feel at ease here, at home. I also noticed when off base I automatically bow more and am more polite. Funny how quickly that returns.
So I continue to plug away on the night shift… the 14 hour night shift… but now I know what I need to do in my few free hours away from this office. I need to rediscover my one time home.

No comments:

Post a Comment