Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dinner for Breakfast

The only constant here at JSFJ (Joint Support Force Japan) is change. I
arrived thinking I'd be the Fuels Officer. That never materialized.
Instead I was instructed to improve (fix) communication between USFJ (US
Forces Japan) and C7F (US Navy 7th Fleet). That was not too difficult.
Got good communication channels open and wondered what my job was. I
was next told I was the JFMCC LNO - basically the Liaison Officer at
USFJ representing the fleet. That lasted for a day or two... bear with
me on this days just melt together when you're working 14+ hour shifts.
Anyway I arrived this morning at 06:30 and just before 10:00 was told to
go get some sleep. I am now the head of the Sustainment Cell on nights
in the J4 shop. Wow, I actually have some people working for me now.
Still no one to explain what exactly is expected though.

So the posturing and reorganizing continue as two commands try to merge
on the fly with a rapidly evolving HA/DR effort.

The navy folks I have been working with stand out. I've noticed we are
the only ones around here routinely laughing. It's not that we consider
this petty or worse, don't understand the gravity of it. I think it's
just because we are sailors, it is normal for us to make light of
serious situations.


This entire operation is a grand learning experience for me. The
politics are annoying. But, the dynamic of the evolving organization is
fascinating... knowing our mission is short lived while we evolve as if
it is for the long haul is a strange thing to watch. One of the Naval
Officers I have been hanging out observed that when we (the Navy) went
to OIF and OEF (Iraq/Afghanistan) we were not in a joint environment, we
were in an Army environment. This is a true joint environment. I think
the flags immediately above we are an Air Force one star and Navy one
star. I haven't seen a good org chart so I really can't explain it for
certain. Still, this is kind of weird. It is causing me to think hard
about my recall to the AF/PAK Hands program... which is apparently back
on.


One of the things the public at large does not understand is how
donations can't simply flow seamlessly into disaster stricken areas. It
is a complicated business to be sure. A steamship line just approached
us with a request to distribute 14 TEU's (7 ea. 40' ocean containers) of
supplies. The sent this request to the Host Nations Relation Officer at
one of our bases. This request should have gone directly to either the
Japanese government (GOJ) or to the JSDF (Japan Self Defense Forces -
Japan's Military). Those are the groups with the authority to accept
donations, especially from Japanese companies! What I don't think many
fully grasp is that the US is not the one deciding what should be
delivered where. That is a Japanese decision. This is not Ache
province after the Indian Ocean tsunami or Haiti after their quake.
This is a 1st world country where civil order is still well established
and a fully functioning government exists.


The New Face of Empire
It struck me as I walked to work this morning that Empire has a whole
new face. Now, mind you I already knew that but what was different this
morning was how the thought resonated as I was making my way to USFJ -
US Forces Japan. Here I am in a sovereign country. By nominal per
capita GDP they rank 17th or 18th globally. That is pretty significant.
Anyway, here I am walking and thinking... how many countries have a
combined military HQ for a foreign military located near their capitol?
Chine did at one point, recall the Boxer Rebellion? India did before
that pesky Gandhi guy screwed it all up. My point being this should not
be acceptable by a sovereign government. If they are sovereign what is
the need of a large foreign military presence?

So America, face the facts, we are an Empire and have been one since the
close of the Spanish American War of 1898. Just because we don't call
Japan, Kuwait, Germany, Iraq, England, Spain, Italy, Columbia, South
Korea, Afghanistan and a host of others colonies does not change the
reality on the ground. If you are pro colonialism feel free to revel in
it. If you believe in self determination organize... but then again if
you believe in self determination it probably best to get your own house
in order first.

No comments:

Post a Comment