Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Day 3, whimiscally fantastic landscapes

Ah, where to begin.  I suppose my most embarrassing moment is as good place as any.  Last night my body seemed to be working on adjusting to the food.  The food has been exceptional but I had a bit of the runs all the same.  I was hoping it would be resoled by morning but it was not. so tell me, when using a squatty potty, what is the absolute worst thing to drop into it during use?  It seems to me the worst thing to drop is your toilet paper.  Which I did.  Shit! No pun intended.  So getting back to my hut, digging through my duffle and grabbing my full role was a challenge I was not expecting to face on this trip!
The reminder of the day was much better.  The weather has been ood.  Clear half the day with clouds and fog moving in later.  We summited a local peak before tarting the day's trek.  The views were beautiful.  Most of the day as spent gaining elevation up more muddy tracks interspersed with trekking across large bogs of a sort.  It is such  different landscape than any I have witnessed before.  We were in rubber boots all day, as a precaution. In places it was quite welcome.  There are sections of deep mud to negotiate.  I also learned that there rubber boots do a fantastic job of gripping the rock.  On the downside I worry about blisters so I may switch back to my hiking boots tomorrow. 
This was the first day we saw other groups.  One group of 6 was heading back and we passed them on thee margin of the bog.  The other group arrived at r camp shortly after we did.  They did Marghareta Peak and are on their was back.  They said it is very strenuous ascending the glacier.  It's a sixty degree slope of wet ice.  The hike toward the night's hut was also apparently daunting as they were all pretty tired by then. 
One thing Rwenzori Trekking has been doing which I greatly applaud is improving the trails.  When they secured the concession they had to bushwhack trails out of the jungle.  Now they are systematically placing ladders to assist with the more difficult (steep and slippery) sections.  But the best part is the way they are building boardwalks across the boggy sections.  There are generally a single plank wide and just high enough to keep you out of the water in the wet season.  They are of tremendous benefit in preserving the bogs. 
We are now camped in a hut complex atop huge rock above a lovely lake.  It is 2 more days of trekking to reach the camp for the summit push.  I am content.
Our cabins

The most fantastical place I have hiked!

The boardwalks are so much easier than sinking into foot deep mud! 


View from Mutinda Lookout

No comments:

Post a Comment