Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Notes on Uganda

Well, after two nights in a suburb of Entebbe I hired a car to come up to Kampala.  When I say suburb, read villiage.  Susan my host was wonderful.  Beautiful room but a bit isolated from Entebbe.  It was wonderful waking up to a view of Lake Victoria.  That is another thing I knew, as a young child, I would one day see.  Susan arranged my ride with Jude.  He brought me here to the backpacker's hostle and then on an ATM run.  I didn't bring too much cash with me so I'll be using ATM's for expenses I van't place on plastic.  Jude informed me that Barclays nd Standard Charteed are the most reliable ATM's here. 
Tomorrow Jude will be collecting me at 07:00 to drive me to Kliembe, at the foot of the Rwenzori mountais.  I'll have a free day there before my trek.  I think I'll fid more to do in a smaller village than this city of nearly 2M folks.  I was hoping to go online and look for a flight from Entebbe to Zanzibar.  Unfortuntely the wifi is down here.  It seems toi be a common issue in Ugnda.  The servie itself is unreliable and on top of that the hosts don't always keep their accout recharged.  So I don't know if I'll be able to do so.  That could impact my decisions.  The big take away hee is when raveling to Uganda do your research before hand.  Of course I would still keep a felxible schedule though.  I was considering taking a bus to Kliembe but was concened aboutt the safety of my duffles.  I have gear for cold weather and snow that I can't easily replace here.  Jude is taking me there for far less that half the cost I was quoted by the tour operator.      
OK, wifi is back up so I am posting this now while I am able.
Cheers!!



No comments:

Post a Comment