Thursday, January 18, 2018

Kampala Impressions

Yesterday and today were slow.  The internet is not overly reliable so as I was trying to arrange follow on flights to Zanzibar and Moshi it became an all day affair.  So, if you plan to visit Uganda - and I highly recommend that you do - here are a few things to make the trip smother:

*  Decide on your itinerary and purchase your flights before arrival. I was dithering on my plans up to the last minute and was rather curious to see how well I could wing it.  Not a bad thing but it does waste some time.
*  Buy a SIM card for the local system when you arrive. It is possible to use WeChat and WhatsApp as well as e-mail using free WiFi services but when WiFi is out so is your ability to contact others and research next steps.
*  Make local friends.  Luckily I am pretty good at this step.  It will be your best source for info/where to go/what to pay/how to get around, etc.
*  If you decide to trek in the Rwenzori Mountains only use Rwenzori Trekking Services.  Normally I don"t endorse specific businesses but I have seen their guides as well as the cpompetition in action on a 65 degree slope of glacial ice.  Only RTS has a clue how to move folks safely in that environment.  I sent a scathing e-mail to the Ugandan Wildlife Authority about the lack of professionalism displayed by the other services.

OK, enough for travel tips.  By last night I had my tickets and this morning I booked 2 nights at an Air BnB in Stone Town, Zanzibar so I was wondering what else to do. I ended up visiting a small house where 2 gents bring in homeless kids for a few months to get them ready to travel back home and get back into school.  They were surprised to learn we also have homeless in the good old USA.  After that I had to walk to an ATM for travel funds and to pay my hostel bill tomorrow.  I could have taken a bodeboda but wanted to walk.  Not because bodabodas are dangerous (they absolutely are) but because I wanted to look around a bit.  I walked all they way to the city center about 2 miles away I think.  The air quality is pretty bad during the dry season.  There is excessive exhaust smoke, its hot and a bit humid, it's very dusty.  This is not a pretty city.  Mind you I was not in the nicer areas.  I wanted to see how the average resident lives and shops.  In that regard it is not much different than other 3rd world countries.  it is crowded.  Shops are small but numerous.  Lots of fruit is for sale along the sidewalks.  Not too may folks were smiling but I suppose that is as much a universal city issue.  Waling through traffic is a challenge I suppose.  It requires a great deal of situational awareness.  There are other, cars, trucks and bodsbodas all vying for the same space.  Bodabodas are frequently on the sidewalks as well so you really have to pay attention.  It is also helpful to learn how to pay attention to what is in your pockets and what it feels like.  Reaching for your wallet to make sure it is OK is a fantastic way to alert pick pockets what pocket to target.  I specifically left my daypack behind at the hostel to look slightly less like a backpacker.  Mind you I still stick out.  In my little jaunt I was one of only 5 mzungu (foreigners).  I saw three Chinese and 2 Indians... and then me.  So yup I kind of stood out a bit!             
 

No comments:

Post a Comment