Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Day 4 Realization: Trekking the Rwenzori's is an ass kicker!

Wow, distances here in he Rwenzori's don't tell you much about the day ahead.  We left our camp atop the rock this morning and headed up.  Up through a pass named after the poacher who roamed these hills for 20 years.  He helped the Trekking outfit determine where to build trails.  The hike up to the pass was across a hill liberally scattered with quartz.  As we ascended the biome as unraveged by fire and otherworldly.  Next was quite a strenuous descent down a gully.  It was quite steep muddy and rocky.  Once your boots have a coat of mud the rocks are more challenging.  I slipped twice.  The first time I donated a small amount of DNA to the rock.  The 2nd time was in the mud.  My trousers are badly in need of a laundry! 

After we left the gully we were back in bog land.  In many sections the porters have placed branches in the mud to ease the way.  Yesterday I was in rubber boots and the mud was not as much a concern.  Unfortunately those rubber boots were also threatening to give me blisters.  So today I've been in my backpacking boots all day.  It made negotiating the mud a greater challenge, and rather fun. 

The last section we traversed was above some lakes that drain into the Congo.  That part was every bit as arduous as the other parts of the trek.  We hiked a trail through dense foliage, over boulders, through more mud. 

I felt a bit weaker today and am not sure why.  It may have been from dehydration.  It may have been from not eating all my soggy pasta last night.  All in all the food has been excellent so the pasta was an aberation.  I think I am losing weight even though we are so well fed.  This morning we had porage followed by large thin pancakes.  Lunch was lovely potato salad, an apple and mango juice.  I don't know what tonight's dinner will be but as long as we are at the huts there is plenty of tea.  

All in all I'd have to say trekking the Rwenzori's is much more challenging than the trek to Mt Everest Base Camp.  But where the Himalaya are breathtaking for the shear magnificence of the mountains, the Rwenzori's are other worldly for the flora.  And then out of nowhere are blackberries aplenty.  They are tart but still yummy.                 

As physically challenging as this trip is I am so happy to be here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment