Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Day 6: kicked my ass!

Well I m back at Hunwick Camp.  It's been an exceptionally long day.  We had breakfast at 02:15 and were on our way to the peak by 3.  Maghareta Peak is not an easy climb, especially in the dry season.  The glaciers have receded dramatically.  So what would have been a much easier climb 15 years ago now involves a 65 degree clmb up glacial ice.  Doing this climb in the wet season is easier I've been told because of all the snow.  The route involves three glacier traverses each direction.  The middle one is the steep SOB.  We were delayed at th base of that section for about an hour as other trekking services with less skill and clients with less fitnesss cloged the path.  It reminded me why I m skeptable of Mt Everest climbs.  I was honsly worried about making the summit because of the delay.  Our guides helped get us up that section in a hurry once it cleared.  At the top of the steepest part they placed an ice screw and a pully.  I didn't realize it at first but once we were roped up one of the guides was tied into our belay on the opposit end of the pully and he began running down the glacier.  This in turn basically pulled us up.  Mind you, running up a 65 degree glacier in crampons even with an assist is exhausting at 4500m!

The views were nearly nonexistant due to cloud cover.  Weather always a crap shoot in the Rwenzoris.  I was feeling like an pld man on this climb but the truth is we were the 3rd of 5 groups on the mountain and the first to summit as well as the first back down, despite the delay.  So I am feeling pretty good about that. 

After the climb we had lunch at camp then packed our stuff and hiked back to this camp.  Two of the four I joined on this adventure have decided not to climb Mt Speke and to return with me instead.  So we have two days to trek back to the Hostle at the base of the mountains.  Lfie is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment