Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Altitude

Last night we were at 3820 mt.  I think we go above 4000 tonight and remain above that until we run back downhill.  The air is thinner here but I have been at or near this altitude quite a bit in the past year.  Practicing Tai Chi Chuan up here is interesting as my breathing rhythm has to shift to compensate for the O2 level.   I did begin taking Diamox a few days ago and need to drink more fluids as a result... which I haven't been.  The Diamox causes tingling in the fingers and toes.  It' actually more like needles and pins.  So each morning I debate if I should continue it.  For those of you who are not sure what Dimox even is, it's supposed to help prevent or at least lessen AMS (Acute mountain sickness... aka altitude sickness.  I have had to deal with this little malady once or twice above 4000 mt so thought I'd give this newfangled drug a shot.

At Dingboche tonight and tomorrow night.  Tomorrow we have a shot 2 hr hike to check a loop in the course and grab a view of Island Peak.  We just got word that the Hillary Step has collapsed.  That could potentially kill ascents from the South Col.  It would have a major impact for the region.  I don't think the trekking will change much but the coin that expeditions spend to move gear will definitely impact both the regula porters as well as the hight altitude porters.

It's cold out tonight.  We are now above timberline until the run.  That means more wind and colder temps.  I may actually have to break out my thermal undies soon, at least at night.

One last quick update on posts.  I don't know when I'll have a good connection for my tablet so I will probably post a group of updates at a time.  Sorry about that.  OK time for bed.    

No comments:

Post a Comment