Monday, May 15, 2017

Getting to Nepal

Well this certainly isn't a close destination from LA.  I am somewhere over Southern China, I think.  This is the second leg of my trip.  First I flew from LAX to Gangzhou.  That was about a 15 hour flight.  Yes, it's a long time to spend in an aircraft.  I watched 3 films before finally taking a sleeping pill for the 2nd half of it.  I figured that would help with the jet lag.  When we landed the layover stretched from 2 to 5 hours.  The reasons given were a bit vague but I suspect it had to do with the monsoon.  No matter, it's just part of flying to such locations.  It really helps to have the right attitude for this type of travel.  You can't be too anxious about tight schedules or plans.  It works much better if you can just take things as they come.  Once again that so useful term I learned from the Army springs to mind: embrace the suck.   
Well I don't have pics to post yet.  This city reminds me so much of places in Pakistan.  I wandered around Thamel for a bit.  The trekking gear here is no bargain.  I went looking for a good rain hat only to discover they cost more here then I'd pay back in the USA. 
Oh well.  So what was my first meal here in Nepal you may ask?  I found an Irish bar and had a Guinness and some momo (gyoza).  OK, it`s just past 9 and I am getting a little loopy.  Time for sleep!  zzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment