Saturday, May 20, 2017

Cafe Daphne: the Coolest Bar in Nepal

MiA post amazingly similar to this may magically appear soon.  It can be a challenge blogging from the Himalayas.  I don' know if it's the connectivity, my Lenovo tablet or Green Tara blocking the signal.  So it goes.

So the title of this post is about a bar in Nepal.  I have been in many, many Asian bars in my life.  The Cafe Dauphine is a new favorite of mine.  The owner is a very close friend of our guide, Ricky.  It seems to be the favorite hangout of Everest Marathon runners.  I met an amazing Scotsman there the other night who is running for charity the day before we run the marathon.  He will be running an ultra-marathon from Everest Base Camp to Kathmandu!  about 3/4 of that will be an unsupported run.  I am truly impressed.  It was interesting talking to him about the race and runners.  There are two Poles and a Frenchman who are hoping to chack into the top 3.  Up to/ this point Nepalis have owned the top 3 spots.  So it is going to be an interesting start.  Beginning on the Khumbu glacier the start is a jumble os ice and rock. 

Trekking tips:
So far I feel like I was not ell enough informed about the trekking.  My own fault.  I just missed out on the beta.  So for anyone thinking about this in the future here are a few notes: Don't worry about any snacks unless you are running the marathon.  Then only have them for the run.  There are ample tea houses to gab snacks and meals.  Almost nothing is free.  Internet in the lodge here in Namche Bazzar is $5 for your stay.  Showers are $3 to $4.  Charging batteries is about $2.50 ea.  Rooms have no outlets to charge your electronics.  A solar cell is a reasonable investment.  Just make sure it can handle the items you want to charge.  Toilet paper is not provided.  Carry enough at all times.  You can buy it here for $2.50/roll.           

Today was a rest day.  We are taking our time getting to base camp to ensure people are acclimated.  So today being a rest day we hiked several kilometers and had a practice run back to the race finnish line.  During today's hike we saw Lhotse, Nuptse and Ama Dablam. 

I walked back to the finish line rather quickly, rather than running it.  Afterward we were free so I hiked up to the ridge above town and explored bit.  Tomorrow we continue the trek. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment