Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Last Minute Preps and Struggles

Today was a day of tours, packing, sorting, repacking, weighing, sorting, repacking, weighing... OK let's  just say I reweighed m stuff about five times today!

This morning we visited the local crematorium.  It's right off the river, there are many temples and lingam.  I took many photos.  And at this point I owe the readers a temporary apology. It looks like I won't be able to use my table to post pics here on the blog.  I haven't figured out how to efficiently resize copies to post here.  So I am sorry about it but I will correct that upon my return to the land of the lost. 

Oh, I began talking about tours.  So we also went to South Asia's largest Buddhist Stupa and a Thankla shop.  I need to head back there when I return from Everest.

OK, now if anyone should be reading this who in considering joining this race in  future years this may interest you.  I thought the 15 kg limit on our bags only applied to our duffle bag since Sherpa's will be carrying those.  apparently the real driver are the restrictions on the aircraft taking us to Lukla to begin the trek.  So it is not a day pack plus 15 kg.  The limit applies to all out baggage.  This is why I have to lug my bags back and forth between my room and the lobby so many times.  The lobby just so happens o have a nic digital scale.  So I removed most of my emergency supplies and sone of my clothes.  The big hit was to my snacks. I brought a bunch of cliff bars and dehydrated bananas for the talking.  After I finally whittled away enough weight to get below 15 kg I took my snacks to the scale and began weighing out snacks.  1st I set aside my race day snacks.  Next my 2 chocolate bars.  Then the bananas .  I finished by adding on enough Cliff bars to max out my allowance... I now have a scant 1 kg of snacks to cover 13 days of hiking.

 

1 comment: